Wednesday, February 16, 2011

IT’S BEST TO HAVE YOUR RENEWABLE ENERGY "DESSERT" FIRST


Taking a page from Mothers everywhere, conventional wisdom says that we should be eating our energy efficiency “vegetables” before having any renewable energy “dessert”. While it certainly makes sense that undertaking low cost and no cost efficiency measures should come first, that advice often gets ignored. For when it comes to using energy, habits and cognitive limitations cause people to not act rationally. Energy appears cheap with just the monthly utility bill to go on. This creates the disincentive to adopt even simple energy efficiency measures. The result is that bowl of healthy “vegetables” often remains uneaten.

Research is emerging which indicates that the conventional wisdom has it backwards; that in order to reduce energy consumption, renewable energy should come before energy efficiency. In an exhaustive 632 page report on the impact of the California Solar Initiative, one of the key findings was that  participants adopted 30% more energy efficiency measures than non-participants (see CPUC California Solar Initiative 2009 Impact Evaluation Final Report, Section 10, page 10-68). This finding supports what has been observed many times in the field; that it is not until people have made the switch and adopted or endorsed renewable energy that they significantly change their wasteful energy habits. Whether it is energy or food, vegetables are always good for us. But when it comes to energy, research and observation is telling us that we should be eating our dessert first.

I welcome your comments.

2 comments:

  1. The other way to look at the CSI report results is that non-participants did not take up as many energy efficiency (EE) measures as CSI participants subsequently did, i.e., those who started with vegetables ate less of them than those who ate dessert first.

    However, if financing and incentives are not as readily available for EE measures, wouldn't that be responsible for some of the differences in uptake if energy efficiency measures? If you're poorer and can't afford dessert to start with...and the cost of the vegetables is also out of reach, can't that account for some of this difference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at  Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Mr, Benjamin Email: 247officedept@gmail.com  He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete